Doctoral Hell

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Two more down...

I took a few days off, but I finished Gender Trouble and Ethics and Infinity.

This weekend, I'm hiking with classmates, hanging out with a friend whose boyfriend is about to return from Europe, and Working My Butt Off. Yup.

The class is back on. Well, whatever, it's three credits in three weeks.

I got my TEQ's back yesterday (teaching evaluation questionnaires). I like that it's to the point that the feedback is now things that I refuse to do. My first few semesters, it was actually good feedback. I needed to use the chalkboard more, pause longer for them to take notes, etc. All of that was helpful feedback. It seems that I've resolved that stuff, because now the "suggestions" column is full of things that I won't do.

I received a short essay on why I should not require participation. I could, if I so desired, name the student who wrote it. He was, shall we say, displeased with that policy from the get-go. I run a feminist classroom, and it requires participation. I'm not going to change that.

A few students commented on the way that I review for exams. That, too, my dears, is not going to change. I give them a review sheet that I entitle "fair game for exams". I don't put anything on the exam that is not on the sheet. The class before the exam, I hold a review session. I tell them ahead of time the deal: they come in with questions that they have after reviewing their notes. They try to resolve it collaboratively. If they can't, I answer. Students want me to actually re-teach the entire 5 week unit. Not gonna happen.

Two more students want me to make up notes from my lecture and hand them out. Nope. I am, again, perfectly willing to repeat myself and slow down, but I am perfectly comfortable with you actually writing things down yourself. I'm not actually going to do ALL of your work!

Then there are the contradictory reviews. I have precisely two students who commented that I moved too quickly through the material, and precisely two who commented that I moved too slowly.

Overall, they were sweet reviews. I appreciate their perspective even on the things that are dear to my teaching philosophy.

We'll see how this cultural diversity thing goes! I've almost completed my teaching packet for the semester, so... e-reserve, here I come. (I received the helpful suggestion from my supervisor that using e-reserve means that students don't have to pay money AND I'm not violating copyright law. This is nice, because then students can't try to blackmail me!)

Alright...yoga and bed....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home