Doctoral Hell

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Weekend course...

We have our semester mini-course this weekend...this will be the first time that I don't attend a full weekend of the lecture. I agreed to go to Friday night because my practicum supervisor wants to hear about it...

It's by a pothead who talks about how pot has created us to genetically engineer it.

Yeah, mean.

I don't know. I'm conflicted. I've heard this guy talk at a party, and he was holding his kid and smoking up. I have a problem with getting little kids second-hand (or actually) high because they can't consent. I support legalization, and I see no problem with experimentation (and back in the day, I certainly did my share.)

But other times, I look around and wonder where the radical left would be if we stopped offing our brain cells. The radical right is increasing in power, and then I see some of my husband's colleagues-really intelligent, motivated, radical people-going "yeahhhh...man....hehhhh....cooooolll..."

I'm working with hardcore addicts this year and it really makes the experimentation thing seem so much less glamorous.

I'm not sure where I stand, I guess. I feel frustrated that this weekend's lecture is all about getting high. We've had some pretty impressive people come in the past, and I wonder what it says about our priorities that we invited this guy. I don't care if people smoke up sometimes. Whatever, it should be legal. But is this really the most enlightening weekend course that we could have created for ourselves? In the Spring we had this awesome critical community psychologist come in....I don't know....

Class time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home