Doctoral Hell

Monday, October 31, 2005

Halloween Goodness

I went to a Halloween party hosted by an old friend from high school. I saw a few people I hadn't seen in several years... (oddly, some people I went to high school with also moved to this city.) Sometimes it makes me feel old, not in that "I'm all creaky and bitter and depressed" way, but...it's hard to explain. I enjoyed myself, and I think it's interesting to realize that I click with some people I didn't really like back then and that I don't click with some people that I had been fairly close with. And, of course, I was privy to the drunken presentation of the US presidents, as per tradition.

It also makes me become a strong advocate of "party hard while you're young, then grow out of it before you graduate." I got my partying out of my system before I even turned 21, and now I see a bunch of people who were morally opposed to drinking, etc. who are going crazy in their early 20's. There's more screw-up room in your teens and fewer responsibilities...I don't know.

I taught today, and attempted to give Freud a good show. I failed. When I asked for comments, they mentioend that Freud is a strange fellow indeed, and asked if he has problems. Whatever, I brought them chocolate, and they were pleased. I'm up there doing a feminist deconstruction of penis envy, and they're still stuck on the Electra complex. I ended up just babbling about Freud's cocaine habit...

I might be getting my very own undergraduate ;). I talked to an old student about working as a research assistant, and I think she's up for it. I promise to be careful to not abuse her!

I got roped into an awesome project for this afternoon. (Note the ambivalence in THAT sentence!) Another woman in the program wants to do a mock therapy session where she struggles with the themes of the cultural diversity course. She'll transcribe it and deconstruct the mock session. I'm REALLY excited, actually. I think that it would make a wonderful conference presentation. It's blurring so many lines...therapy/acting/talking/performing...Plus, I've actually used my own therapy as a space to deconstruct psychotherapy, which I think is enormously cool. I've wanted to write that up for a while, but it's still my therapy and it was too private. I think it'll be neat to try to take it to a conference...

I wrote 8 pages of my performing performance ethngoraphy paper....32 left...it sounds like a lot, but I was quite pleased with writing 8 pages in one semi-productive day. So, yay!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home