Doctoral Hell

Friday, October 20, 2006

Dear Students...

I find myself compelled to write an open letter to my students at least once a semester. Here we go.

Dear everyone...
To those of you who handed your papers in on the due date...cool. I don't want to say 'congratulations' or 'way to go', because, really, handing the paper in on time isn't going above call of duty. It's expected. Now, the rest of you...the 6 out of 17 of you who didn't hand in the paper and didn't contact me at all...all I can say is: "What the fuck?!?" It's not that I'm angry, it's that, well, I'm genuinely confused. Let me refer you to your syllabus. Every day that passes without you giving me your paper results in the loss of a full letter grade. By Monday, you're all failing. Look at the syllabus a little bit more...see the part where you can rewrite the midterm paper? Yeah. Umm...so, even if you handed me a stream of consciousness on your cat, you still could have gotten an A in the class by giving me a brilliant rewrite. I just don't understand!

1 Comments:

  • At 21/10/06 13:01, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sometimes I feel like we (graduate students) can't understand undergrads because we're such nerds about academics, to the point where we voluntarily signed on for 5+ more years of school. So even though we were undergrads once, it's hard to relate to students who don't care about class, or who can't do the easiest little requirement.

    Just yesterday, an undergrad asked me if I was going to "the big game" this weekend, and I confessed that I didn't even know that there was one. She looked at me like I said I didn't know my own name or something. I almost said, "Well, I'm a grad student," but then I realized I never knew that stuff in college either.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home