Doctoral Hell

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

How to Handle Your Committee, 101

Note that I need to take this class, not teach it. I have taken the "month-ahead" approach with my director. This means that, a month before I think I need a meeting with him, I e-mail him and ask to meet ASAP. By the time he freaking replies to me and sets something up, a month has passed, and I am actually ready for our conversation. I had a snafu with this earlier...he only took ONE WEEK to get back to me, which left me flipped out and worried that I wasn't going to be able to have thigns ready on time to meet. He wrote that we could meet on Saturday. I asked him to tell me the time and place. (Un?)fortunately, he never e-mailed me back. So, I guess my month prediction is on target, but I just missed a few steps in there.

I am also considering the buddy system. He is possibly directing another dissertation, and I think that she and I should have a pact to remind him of the existence of the other directee when one of us does manage to have a meeting with him.

And then, there's the good ol' fashioned "stalker approach" in which she and I wander the coffee shops that he most often frequents with dissertation stuff in tow, just "happening" to run into him, and pulling up a chair. I haven't sunk to that, but I have to say...I can't absolutely guarantee that it won't get to that point.

Funny Undergrad Citing of the Day:
A male undergraduate on crutches was hobbling down the street trying to convince his friends that his next stunt won't go badly, he swears.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home