Doctoral Hell

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Sitcom moments...

It's been a while since I've posted...you know...busy, all that jazz ;). And, of course, last weekend was busy b/c my dear husband was busy defending. :)

But, my clinic-based reality show has new material.

I was on the phone with my friend while I was up in the Psychology Clinic, discussing a dream she had the night before. (We are doctoral psych students, after all!)

Friend: "Hey, I'm driving by the Clinic right now!"
Me: *Goes over to the window* "Oh, hey, I can see you!"
Friend: "Can you? Really?"
Me: "Yeah, I'm waving at you! Can you see me?"
Friend: *Turning to look* Let me see.
(At this point, I watch my friend plow into the car in front of her.)
Friend: "Oh, shit! I just hit that guy! Umm...I'll call you back."
Then, I watch from the window as she and the guy pull over, get out, and assess the damage. (For the record, the occupants and cars were fine!)

The other incident was quite different, but also involved a mixture of comedy and tragedy.
Scene: The library, after my husband's defense and before his outside reader's lecture.
Professor on my committee: *Making attempt at small talk* "So....have your proposal meeting yet?"
Me: "Umm. No..." (Oh...shit! You're ON the committee....oh....fuck!!!....you don't REMEMBER, do you?) *laughing slightly* Ummm....but....I'll tell you when it is!
POMC: "Oh. Am I on your committee?"
Me: (How can you have FORGOTTEN?!? We talked about this for HOURS!!!!) *laughing again, a bit defensively* "Well...you said you were!"
POMC: "Well, okay. I believe you! What's it about?"
Me: *describes briefly* "Sound familiar?"
POMC: No!
Me: (Why the hell do I even bother around here?!?) *Smiles weakly*
POMC: Ummm...am I on anyone else's committee?

In Director Tracking News, I had managed to schedule with the Director earlier in the week. He cancelled. (Well, sort of...he never told me where to meet him, and when I sent him an awkward e-mail asking if we were still on, he swore, apologized, and told me he couldn't make it...)

I have, however, received his comments on my proposal. So, at least I can start working on it.

I think it's time to start taking bets on the odds of getting my committee into one room at the same time to have a proposal meeting!

3 Comments:

  • At 6/2/07 07:53, Blogger Di Di said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 6/2/07 07:54, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow - I can't believe he forgot that he was on your committee. As if the challenge of getting your director to meet with you wasn't enough. However, your experience makes me wonder if in the future, I might be able trick my professors into thinking they had promised to be on my committee.

     
  • At 6/2/07 14:53, Blogger Wild West Intern said…

    I know! I'd been all stressed about asking him. Now I'm tempted to wait until things are solid for me, and then spread the word.

    *PSSSSTTTT....Tell him he committed to your committee...he'll totally believe you!*

     

Post a Comment

<< Home