Doctoral Hell

Sunday, November 13, 2005

It's been a long time...

I've gotten bad about updating. Alas, I'm getting bad at doing most things that are enjoyable! This week was extra intense for some reason.

I started babysitting my prof's baby and he's just adorable. And on Friday night, for $10 an hour, I sat on a futon, graded papers, and read the Piggle.

My hubby and I went to the outlet malls yesterday after a somewhat mandatory Saturday morning lecture on depression. (Believe me, I was GULPING coffee!) I felt like someone who hadn't been in civilization in a long time. I felt like someone from another country just visiting. I felt out of place and strange. I felt like a complete outsider and like I would be identified as some sort of alient. There were people milling around (even Amish women with Nike bags!) and everyone was in this shopping frenzy. I don't really like shopping, but my husband's sneakers had huge holes in them and my business casual wear is becoming pathetic. It was time. There was a certain frantic quality to the way in which everyone darted about chasing the sales. I heard several teenagers begging for possession of their parents credit cards. I know that the exhaustion contributed to the feeling, but it just seemed like I had emerged from my Ph.D. cave and forgotten about the rest of the world.

I talked about that with a classmate the other day. We're around psychologists and other doctoral students so much that we don't even KNOW how normal people talk to each other. Do they analyze dreams? Point out slips? Debate whether or not the concept of anima and animus is offensive? What do they do? Small talk at parties is difficult.

I went to a party a few weeks ago and felt like all anyone wanted to talk about was "tell me weird things about your clients." Yeah, um....no.

To top off the surreal feeling of the outlet mall was the farm that literally touches the parking lot. I'm talking "to your right, you'll see miles of parked cars. To your left, you'll notice cows grazing."

I need a nap!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home