Doctoral Hell

Friday, November 18, 2005

Thanksgiving break

I supposedly begin Thanksgiving break tonight...

I'm babysitting tonight. Tomorrow I'm doing a neuropsych assessment, I' m seeing clients Monday-Wednesday and I'm working at the hospital on Tuesday. In between all of that, I'll be working on the remaining 25 pages of my independent study and starting my dissertation proposal before going up to visit my parents at the end of the week.

It's still better than having to teach and go to classes, and I can wear my husband's pyjamas and lie on the couch typing and drinking tea as much as I want. I plan to do a FEW fun things, perhaps visiting friends up at my parents' house, visiting my friend and her newfoundlands sometime next week, and going out with my college roommate. Not to mention, finishing this paper will be a TREMENDOUS relief.

Which takes me to the Saga of the Laptop:
Over a month ago, I plugged my beloved laptop in, and blue flame shot out of the back and the side. I promptly UNPLUGGED it and carted it off to the store. We signed an agreement authorizing up to $175 in repairs, and the store promised to call if repairs would be more than that. A few weeks went by, and we got a call that the repair would be between $1000 and $2000 dollars. No way! We denied authorization for the repairs, and I began procrastinating on finding a cheap used laptop.
Two days ago, we got a call from the aforementioend store, simply saying: "your item has been repaired and can be picked up at any time." Hmm. My husband called yesterday and explained that we had not authorized said repairs and would not pay for them. Eventually, he talked to a manager who said that we only owe $150. He said that the laptop was shipped to HP even though it's a Compaq which is why we got such a high estimate. I'm skeptical. I think they repaired the laptop without authorization, realized that they wouldn't get $1500 from us, and decided to charge an amount within our authorization.

Either way, I don't care. My laptop will be back and I spent less than a paycheck on it!

I had a high school student sit in my class today as part of her research project. She interviewed me. I guess I did alright, because she told me that now she's sure she'll go into psychology. Go me?

I'm in a weird place today...I'm not sick anymore but just a little bit tired. I have tons of work to do and break sounds like it won't be the most exciting thing I've ever done. At the same time, I feel very content. I'll cuddle my hubby and get work done...see my family, and check in with old friends if they're around. For whatever reason, I've been thinking about how much I really like my life...

I'm busy as hell, tired all the time, and frequently stressed out beyond belief. But I love what I do. I love my husband and I love our little apartment and family - us and our cat. I love teaching, I love doing therapy. I have good friends and colleagues. Things are good.

On that note...

More research and off to teach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home