Doctoral Hell

Friday, February 09, 2007

Almost freaked out

So, I got an e-mail from the director today, letting me know that he is now my academic advisor. (This is actually a positive turn of events. I am supposed to meet with my advisor once a semester. I have met with her once. My first week here. She told me to do yoga, and that was about it. Now, when I see her, she guiltily tells me that she'll contact me soon.)

So, the e-mail from my director/advisor tells me that there is a note attached to my file that I still need to take course # whatever. He asks me if I've "cleared that up." At this point, a stream of obscenities leaves my mouth. My eyes well with tears. (The context of this is my current feverish achiness, and the history of my departement Screwing Things Up.) This was immediately tacked on to the list including: forgetting to give me my MA, suddenly realizing that there's a policy requiring me to take another class, and sending me a letter telling me that I passed comps before anyone had actually read my comps.

I took a breath, tried to calm down, but then shouted to where my sick husband was reading in the bedroom: "God DAMNIT, now they're saying I have to take another GOD DAMN class!" At this point, I manage to breathe enough to get it together long enough to grab my graduate manual. With shaking hands, I opened to the page that lists the course numbers.

Oh.

It's the class I'm currently enrolled in.

False alarm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home