Doctoral Hell

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Proposal meeting

Well...it's finally happened. I have a proposal meeting scheduled. This is, you see, a MAJOR accomplishment. Managing to get three faculty members into a room at the same time is a big deal.

In the first stage, I simply e-mailed the two readers telling them that the proposal was in their boxes and that I would like to set up a time for the proposal meeting in the end of April.

The e-mails both bounced.

*Sigh.*

I waited to hear word that they had cleared out their inboxes, and sent the e-mail again.

Several days passed. I ran into one in the elevator and he shouted an apology for the delay. At this point, I was far from stressed. Everything seemed great! (Recall that this was back under the Old Rule where I had already earned my $6,000.)

Okay, cool, no problem. I eventually heard from the two of them, and a tentative date was established. Then, unbeknownst to me, was the Rule Change.

The cool reader approached me and told me to try to find a way to meet earlier so that I can get my money. He asked me to coordinate with a classmate who is in the same boat with a similar committee. I talked to her, we figured out a possible time.

I e-mailed the readers again. This time, the e-mails went through. One e-mailed back right away. The other disappeared. I called him. No answer. I set up a tentative time with the director and one reader. Still no word from the second reader. My director offered to call and harrass him. I finally heard back.

With some finagling, he has agreed to come to campus after a "medical procedure" on Monday.

So...wow...umm...proposal meeting coming soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home